Skip to main content

Over Processing

It's hard to believe that our vacation is at the half-way point already. I'm finding it interesting how much my brain has been working overtime the last couple of nights. I've been having dreams that are full of people I know and full of drama too. Do you ever have dreams that are so realistic that when you wake up your mood is altered because of what you've been dreaming? Well I've had a lot of that the last couple nights. And me, being the introspective deep-thinker that I am, is thinking that it's a sign of some things God is trying to work with me on. I mean, why in the world would I be having dreams full of jealousy, unforgiveness, bitterness, and anger while I'm on vacation?! I should be having dreams full of fun and laughter. As I was awakened last night and pondering my latest dream, I was thinking about the possible reasons that this could be occurring. I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that when I'm at home, I'm so busy being homeschooling mother of 3 that I don't have time to think. I think I've become really good at stuffing things down and hoping they'll go away. Well, could it be that God's trying to help me on this vacation to "process" some of this stuff and get it out of my system. After all, haven't I been asking God to do just that? I just never thought it would happen in this way.

Did you notice how I said I was going to "process" it all? I say that a lot. "I need to take time to process that." I think it's the curse of my personality. I process (aka: overthink things) all the time. Last night God brought this thought to mind. If I was about to skid off the road and off a cliff, would I take time to "process" what the next best move was? No, I'd be more like the Carrie Underwood song "Jesus, Take the Wheel". Could it be that with some of these buried emotions, God is asking me to do just that? Stop thinking about them and trying to process my way to the bottom of the issue. Maybe I just need to recognize the emotion, admit that it's sin, and ask for forgiveness and then choose to let it go. Anytime those same thoughts come into my mind, since I've recognized them as sin, I should stop thinking them and just choose to think about what God would want me to.

Philippians 4:8 ~ Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

There you go. That verse is exactly what I should be spending my time thinking. Do I? No. I definitely do fill my mind with a lot of other thoughts that aren't quite so true, noble, right, pure, lovely or admirable. Can my dreams reflect this? I believe they will if my daytime thoughts are full of such things.

So, as I enjoy another day of sunshine and family time, I know it's a new chance today to fill my mind with things that are honoring to my heavenly Father. And if I have another night of not so wonderful dreams, I'm going to choose to let them go and re-focus my mind on what Philippians 4:8 talks about.

It's time to stop "processing" everything and just start running it through the filter of God's Word. But right now...it's time to hit the pool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Mom Moments

Mom. It's the title I'm most proud of. The biggest blessing I've ever experienced. My daily prayer is that I don't screw this up. Well, not exactly, but I most certainly want to get this right! Life is fleeting. Time with these precious beings living under our roof will be gone before we want it to be. God has given us these little blessings, and therefore we have a responsibility to train them up according to His will. I do NOT recommend taking this motherhood thing lightly. God's Word has a lot to say about training up our kids and not leading them astray. Some days, the whole thing can feel pretty overwhelming! Today, I'm just enjoying my kids. Preparing to spend time in the pool as the heat index reaches 100+ this afternoon. Thinking about some fun mom moments from the past week. Wanting to just savor some of the recent blessings just a little bit longer. Here's one of my favorites: last Friday I was at the Speak Up! Conference and left the hous