Skip to main content

Seeing Life Through the Eyes of our Kids

(This photo is of Hannah the last time we went to Florida. She was only 15 months old. Wasn't she adorable?!)
As I finish up the last pre-vacation chores, I'm taking a moment to contemplate. I'm little by little, getting everything packed and done and checked off my list. But, I have taken my fair share of pauses today. Partly because it helps me to think (and make sure I'm not forgetting something), but also because I'm not wanting to even rush through the vacation preparations. Why? Well, because even they are noteworthy. Not necessarily the kind of noteworthy that the day at Disney will be, or the trip to the ocean or even the 22-hour long road trip. But noteworthy just the same. Why? Because with kids, even the mundane is momentous. Now, of course, I don't always acknowledge that or act as if it's true. But it is.

You know how they sell those little cameras that you can put on your pet so you can "see the world through the eyes of your dog" (or whatever they say)? Well, I think we should spend a little more time trying to see the world through the eyes of our children. It's so easy to get caught up in the worries of the grown-up world. But I think God reveals Himself a lot through our kids. Not to mention that we get our socks knocked off with blessings because of it.

As I'm focusing on raking more of the yard, the kids are drawing sidewalk chalk flowers on the driveway. As I'm running over in my mind the to-do list (and checking it twice), the kids are making sure Shadow feels loved since they won't see him while we're gone. As I'm overwhelmed with everything that is going to happen in the next 24+ hours, the kids are making sure they've packed just the right treasures for the long car ride. They're doing a lot of really great things that exemplify the values we're trying to instill in them. They're showing love. They're being helpful. They're being imaginative. They're doing what comes naturally to them.

So I don't really have the brain power to think about this topic too much right now ('cuz I'm so consumed with my to-do list), but I can tell you this: vacation is the perfect time to see the world through our kids' eyes. It's for sure easy to do when you get out of the house and leave your worries behind. I look forward to being renewed, and refreshed, and re-energized. (Probably all the same thing but, as I said above, my brain isn't on full power at the moment.

As I get back to business here, I hear kids singing, kids busy cleaning, kids excitedly chattering about life. I pray we (Dave and I) do a great job of showering our kids with love and attention on this vacation...and that we see the world through their eyes for the next 10 days. I know the blessings that come from that are many. Oh, and the chance to be re-focused as husband and wife isn't a bad idea either.

Until next time...be blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Cautiously Optimistic

2020 has been the year of EVERYTHING being cancelled. Am I right?  All the things we have been looking forward to since mid-March have not happened. So here we are, one week out from Thanksgiving & Luke's first basketball tournament...and all I can be is "cautiously optimistic" that things will go as planned. I can't really be excited. I mean, we were literally on the road heading towards his MAC Tournament game on March 12th when we found out the tournament had been cancelled. Every time we've gotten our hopes up that something was going to happen this year, it has been snatched away from us. So "cautiously optimistic" is the best I can do at this point. Luke called me yesterday to give me an update on some things, and I 100% expected him to tell me we were no longer allowed to attend. Thankfully, he didn't. He just shared that we aren't allowed to talk to him inside of the arena at any games this year. 'Cuz you know, talking to someone