Skip to main content

Fulfilling My Calling? (or missing the clues?)

Here's what's on my mind today: how do you know where God wants you to focus your energy? I'm talking the BIG picture here. Aside from being a good wife and mother (and all the "jobs" that fall under those two categories), how does God want me to use the rest of my time? And, maybe even more on target, how do you know if the thing you're doing is THE thing God wants you to be focusing your energies on? I guess this post is all about our calling. How do we know when we're following where He's trying to lead us?!

Why am I pondering such things today? This whole concept has been on my heart for a few months, and lately it seems to rise to the surface daily. I guess that means this is, in fact, something God is trying to guide me in. He wants my attention. (Well, He certainly has it.) I've had lots of moments lately of thinking that God has blessed me with certain gifts, and it would be silly (and even sinful) to not make use of the gifts He's given me. I believe that we all are called by God for something. Every Christian. I know that the season of life I'm primarily in right now is motherhood. And, even more specifically, being a homeschool Mom. Already the reward has been great. Already my faith has been boosted by how closely I've had to stay to my Abba Father since beginning this journey. Any amount of success that has come into our lives during this homeschooling journey, has come because of God's blessing and direction. It has been a fun ride with God, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon! 

I know that being called to be a homeschool Mom is huge in and of itself. I am not in any way downplaying that. But here's the rest of the story: my role as "wife" and "homeschool mom" aren't the only roles I have. I am also a part-time bank teller and a part-time Shaklee distributor. These are things that, when I'm doing them, take me away from that first calling of homeschool Mom. It's worked OK so far, but I'm not totally sure just where those two things fit into my life as of late. Each of them in a certain way fulfills something that I know I'm gifted in, yet I don't feel "called" to do either of them right now. In fact, in some ways, I'm getting very resentful that I even HAVE to do them! Is this just a heart issue that I need to deal with, or does it mean it's time to move on?  I do feel called by God to write and encourage others. But then there's the whole financial aspect of it all. How does God want me to bring an income into this family right now? Or does He? How do I know if I'm just wanting to close the door on something because it's become too hard or uncomfortable, versus truly feeling that God is calling me to use my time elsewhere? Is God wanting me to continue learning things from the bank and from Shaklee that He'll later use in other ways? Oh how I want clear direction on this.

I don't want to just be "busy." I hate that. But, of course, with 3 children we are plenty busy all the time. I certainly don't have to seek for ways to be busy...I have to seek for ways to say "no" and slow down the train every once in a while. Is it just society that we're all so busy and frazzled all the time...or is it just the fact that I'm now the parent instead of the kid?  I mean, I remember when I was little actually feeling bored. When was the last time you were bored? Seriously. Bored? Does such a thing exist anymore? I would love to be bored. Just give me 30 minutes of boredom...I could handle that! Am I trying to get a handle on the "busyness" or am I being lazy? I am struggling with every aspect of this right now.

I guess until I sense God throwing one door open wide or closing another, I'll just continue to pray and stay on the current course. I just can't help feeling lately that this isn't it. That God has other plans for me. Maybe He does and now is just not the right time? Maybe I have more to learn first? All I can do for now is do my best to daily bring glory and honor to His name in all that I do. Even if "all" I do is be a wife to Dave; a Mom to Luke, Mikayla, and Hannah; and a friend and encourager to whoever He puts into my path...oh and sometimes my "path" comes by way of the bank and Shaklee. (Not to mention try to do a good job of taking care of myself.) Not too shabby of a "calling" when I put it like that. But I still can't help feeling that this isn't all God has in store for me "when I grow up." Hmmmm....going to have to keep praying about that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Cautiously Optimistic

2020 has been the year of EVERYTHING being cancelled. Am I right?  All the things we have been looking forward to since mid-March have not happened. So here we are, one week out from Thanksgiving & Luke's first basketball tournament...and all I can be is "cautiously optimistic" that things will go as planned. I can't really be excited. I mean, we were literally on the road heading towards his MAC Tournament game on March 12th when we found out the tournament had been cancelled. Every time we've gotten our hopes up that something was going to happen this year, it has been snatched away from us. So "cautiously optimistic" is the best I can do at this point. Luke called me yesterday to give me an update on some things, and I 100% expected him to tell me we were no longer allowed to attend. Thankfully, he didn't. He just shared that we aren't allowed to talk to him inside of the arena at any games this year. 'Cuz you know, talking to someone