Skip to main content

Lessons I've Learned from the Bjorklund Family

So, my Mom and I have been devouring a series of books by Lauraine Snelling. They're all about a Norwegian family that immigrates to North Dakota and settles there in the late 1800's. This family (the Bjorklunds) are addicting. I'm very sad to be coming to the end of the books. The latest one was released in March of this year, so I'm crossing my fingers that she's not done writing about them though.

It's funny how we even came to know about these books. It was from one of Dad's nurses in the hospital. The fact that Dad is Norwegian brought up the topic one day while she was in his room drawing some blood. I went to the library and got the first one that night I think. Almost three months later, I feel like I'm part of the Bjorklund family.

My Mom says that reading these books is kind of like doing a Bible study, and she's kind of right. The author, a Christian, has created the Bjorklunds to be a very devout Christian family who quotes scripture and prays continually. Through all their blessings and hardships, they bring everything to God. Well, I have to admit it, I've learned a thing or two from the Bjorklunds. Or at least I've been doing a better job of waiting on the Lord lately because of the example I see by that family.

Waiting is hard. It's much easier to quickly pray about something and move forward on what you think God is saying (or would say). That's probably what I used to do. Rather than truly praying and waiting and praying some more...I would just pray some and leap into action. Now, admittedly, some things don't need to be waited on. Some things either require quick action or just aren't the kind of matters that require some big answer from God. But lately in our home, we seem to have a number of things where the right answer just isn't obvious. That's when we know it's time to wait on the Lord.

As I've been putting this into action, I've been so comforted by God. I mean, He doesn't just make us sit here in a completely anxious state as we wait on His answer. He gives us peace. He gives us little answers that guide us, ever so slightly, down the path He's trying to lead us to. I may not fully know where He's leading us quite yet, but I can look in the rear view mirror and see where we've been and where's He's already brought us. I know He's faithful and will continue to guide and direct us even more. Fact is, He's going to be guiding and directing us every step this side of heaven. This thing that today seems huge and is heavy on our minds, will someday be replaced by something new. That's just life. And, thankfully, that's just God.

So this week, if you have something weighing heavy on your mind, I encourage you to start the week out by bringing it all to God. Then wait. Trust Him for His complete guidance and perfect answer. Listen to the quiet leading He will give. Oh, and be prepared to have your socks blown off. Because our God isn't big on "comfort." He's big on change. I'm actually rather excited about that one! Per my last post, I'm looking forward to lots of positive changes before my 40th birthday. So let's get this Monday started, shall we?!

Here we go...

Comments

  1. Great post Jen! I love it when God speaks to us through good books... I have had it also when reading a book of fiction & He used it to spur me on in spiritual disciplines.
    'I may not fully know where He's leading us quite yet, but I can look in the rear view mirror and see where we've been and where's He's already brought us.'
    I love this! That is one reason why I blog... to build altars of rememberances... so I can look back & see the faithfulness of God... thus being able to look forward with faith & hope. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way I was glad to see that I could post comments on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Cautiously Optimistic

2020 has been the year of EVERYTHING being cancelled. Am I right?  All the things we have been looking forward to since mid-March have not happened. So here we are, one week out from Thanksgiving & Luke's first basketball tournament...and all I can be is "cautiously optimistic" that things will go as planned. I can't really be excited. I mean, we were literally on the road heading towards his MAC Tournament game on March 12th when we found out the tournament had been cancelled. Every time we've gotten our hopes up that something was going to happen this year, it has been snatched away from us. So "cautiously optimistic" is the best I can do at this point. Luke called me yesterday to give me an update on some things, and I 100% expected him to tell me we were no longer allowed to attend. Thankfully, he didn't. He just shared that we aren't allowed to talk to him inside of the arena at any games this year. 'Cuz you know, talking to someone