Skip to main content

Time to De-Clutter

I've spent a lot of the last two days sorting, organizing, and throwing away. It always feels good to get rid of stuff! At least, it does to me. I know that's not the case for some people. What about you? Are you a purger or a hoarder? While I get great enjoyment out of clearing the clutter, I actually know some people who can't stand to get rid of things. Anything.

This idea got me to thinking last night. Actually, it was in the wee hours of the morning as I lay in bed trying to fall back to sleep. I was thinking about how important this act of "clearing the clutter" is in our lives. And I'm not just talking about the little things we have accumulating in our house. I'm thinking BIG scale here. Philosophically. What things do we have in our lives that God is asking us to throw out?

I kind of laugh at myself when I get into the de-cluttering mode. Yesterday, it was good that nothing important got in my path - like the dog, or one of the kids...or Dave. They might have found themselves on the road to the recycling center!

When it's time to de-clutter, have you ever noticed how easy it is to throw away other people's stuff? You know, like, go into the kids' rooms and find all the little stuff that is laying around and just...get rid of it! Or, even, look at some of Dave's stuff that looks unimportant to me and just toss it into the garbage. I've had to learn over the years to be careful when sorting through Dave's stuff though. More than a couple of times I've thrown something of his away that he hadn't touched in months, and then two days after it's gone he comes asking me if I've seen it. Oops! (Now, I just gave him a couple shelves in the office closet where his "stuff" is sitting in a box waiting for him to go through and determine what's really worth saving.)

So, now, imagine this whole de-cluttering scenario from the perspective of God.

God is the organized parent wanting to make things better (cleaner, more organized, less distracting)...and we're the little kid that thinks every single item laying around on our dresser is very important stuff. Too important to possibly ever DREAM of getting rid of. But God has other things in mind. God knows what we don't yet know about the clutter in our lives - it keeps us busy keeping track of it! It fogs our ability to be productive. It wastes valuable time that could be spent on other things.

Can you see it? Can you picture a few things that you're calling important and God is holding out the heaven-sized garbage can, just waiting for you to toss it in?

Here's what I know for sure: regularly sorting through the stuff in our lives, organizing it, and getting rid of what we don't need anymore is a MUST do thing in life. Both material stuff, and spiritual stuff.

Holding onto things that aren't needed just:
  • bogs us down
  • makes us less effective
  • keeps us from seeing what's REALLY important
  • allows unwanted things to sneak into our space (because things are too chaotic to notice them!)
Can you see how, on a spiritual level, not letting go of things can really cause us to miss out on a lot of blessings in our lives? God has such BIG plans for each and every one of us. Holding onto things that He's asking us to get rid of, just means we're getting in the way of being used by Him in the ways He really wants to!

What things are you holding onto that God wants you to throw out?
  • bad language?
  • poor choices of TV shows?
  • addictive behaviors (food, drugs, alcohol, sex)?
  • lack of discipline?
  • love of material things?
The list could go on. What is it for you? Have you asked God to reveal to you what He'd have you let go of?

I certainly don't want to hang onto anything that is displeasing to Him. I don't want to knowingly interfere with His working in my life.

As I continue the de-cluttering mode this week, I'm going to spend some purposeful time in prayer about what other things God is asking me to throw out. You know, other than that Shaklee catalog from 2004 and the Byron Bank work schedule from last summer.

Happy de-cluttering friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Cautiously Optimistic

2020 has been the year of EVERYTHING being cancelled. Am I right?  All the things we have been looking forward to since mid-March have not happened. So here we are, one week out from Thanksgiving & Luke's first basketball tournament...and all I can be is "cautiously optimistic" that things will go as planned. I can't really be excited. I mean, we were literally on the road heading towards his MAC Tournament game on March 12th when we found out the tournament had been cancelled. Every time we've gotten our hopes up that something was going to happen this year, it has been snatched away from us. So "cautiously optimistic" is the best I can do at this point. Luke called me yesterday to give me an update on some things, and I 100% expected him to tell me we were no longer allowed to attend. Thankfully, he didn't. He just shared that we aren't allowed to talk to him inside of the arena at any games this year. 'Cuz you know, talking to someone