Skip to main content

Mt. Pleasant

Well, our two days in Mt. Pleasant for the kids' basketball tournaments taught me a few things. For one thing, it taught me again just how blessed we are to have our kids playing basketball with the organizations they are. We are surrounded by amazing coaches, players, fellow parents, and siblings. Our kids are learning a ton about basketball, and even more about friendships and playing to honor God.

On Friday night, Mikayla was having all kinds of fun at our hotel with her teammates while Dave took Luke over to hang out and have fun with a bunch of his team. Saturday, when they weren't on the court, they were running around the facility having all kinds of fun with their friends. We all came home 100% worn out from all the fun and competition. Another basketball season is behind us, but what a great one it was!

The drive home from Mt. Pleasant taught me how to appreciate the beauty of falling snow...and of driving slowly. It was a long, slow drive home. But we got home safely with all three kids sound asleep in the back seat. Kind of a fun preview of our trip to Florida. The biggest difference being that when we're driving to Florida, we'll be getting farther away from the snow rather than driving right into the heart of the snowstorm. I must say, there is something rather special about driving at night with my man & me in the front seat and all three of our kiddos sound asleep in the back. I think when I was little and dreamed of someday having my own family, that was one of those images I had in mind. Driving in a snow globe on icy roads just made it a wee bit less dreamy.

And the last thing the trip taught me...I have to be VERY careful on vacations to not throw all my hard work in the weight loss arena out the window. Oh friends. This one sort of makes me mad. Why in the world is it, that I have to fight so darn hard to lose an ounce...but I can gain weight so stinkin' easily?! Dave was happy that he hadn't gained any weight while we were gone. But after our 36 hours away from home, I wasn't so lucky. In fact, when I got on the scale this morning to see the report...I jumped off before it was totally done calculating because I could already tell I wasn't going to like the answer. I'm REALLY hoping that it was all water retention from eating too much sodium. And I REALLY hope I can get myself back on track tomorrow and actually make my 30 pound weight loss mark before our trip to Florida. It just doesn't get any easier, does it?!

So as I make plans for our trip to Florida, I know one thing very strongly: my enjoyment of the trip can NOT come from the type of food I'm going to eat while we're there. Because one day of letting myself enjoy eating the same foods as everyone else around me...led to a not very nice result on the scale this morning. I have to just face the facts. My body wasn't designed to eat junk food. In order to attain and maintain a healthy weight, I'm going to have to choose to eat healthier than most everyone else. And make the choice again and again...for the rest of my life.

I need to choose to be empowered by this fact. I need to remember how much better I feel when I'm fueling my body with healthy foods. I need to say no to chips and Costco cake and breakfast waffles. The thing is, I DID say no to a lot of the things around me! That's why it makes me mad. Why do I have to be so close to perfect in my eating to see any little downward movement on the scale?! Here's where the pity party can get off to a big start. Pity parties cannot be part of this journey. I have a lot of work to be where I hope to be by my 40th birthday! Now there's a place I'd like to see a party...a surprise party that is. (Is it wrong to make known that I really want a surprise party for my birthday? Since I doubt I'll ever get one, I guess I can mention it all I want.)

Well, God just continues to get more and more "in my face" in the area of food. He is asking me to give it ALL over to Him. All of it. As much as I'd like to think everything is OK in moderation...I've learned that just isn't true. Some things should never cross my lips. I guess I just have to embrace my genes. This is the body design that God gave me. Perhaps it's because He knew food was going to easily become one of my idols. This way, I can't hide that problem. God wants to make sure that I "have no other gods before Him". So maybe, this isn't a weakness. It's a strength. It causes me to face these idols in my life and put them aside so that God alone can be first. There's just no way around it (my body make-up, that is...not my rear-end). Just kidding.

Comments

  1. Hi Jen,
    So glad you had a good vacation. Family time away is so nice. There is something about vacation that makes one want to eat differently than when we are home, especially when everyone else is. I struggle with this too. Stay encouraged and keep doing what God has taught and empowered you to do and you will be successful!
    Love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Cautiously Optimistic

2020 has been the year of EVERYTHING being cancelled. Am I right?  All the things we have been looking forward to since mid-March have not happened. So here we are, one week out from Thanksgiving & Luke's first basketball tournament...and all I can be is "cautiously optimistic" that things will go as planned. I can't really be excited. I mean, we were literally on the road heading towards his MAC Tournament game on March 12th when we found out the tournament had been cancelled. Every time we've gotten our hopes up that something was going to happen this year, it has been snatched away from us. So "cautiously optimistic" is the best I can do at this point. Luke called me yesterday to give me an update on some things, and I 100% expected him to tell me we were no longer allowed to attend. Thankfully, he didn't. He just shared that we aren't allowed to talk to him inside of the arena at any games this year. 'Cuz you know, talking to someone