Skip to main content

No Time for Takin' It Easy!

Deuterononmy 2:3 ~ "You've circled this mountain long enough. Now turn north."

This is my theme verse lately. It's kind of alarming to me how much progress I can make in my thinking & my habits and yet how quickly all those old ways can come screaming back! I feel like that little orange craving monster has taken up permanent residence in my head the last few days.

When will this journey get easier?!

I'm starting to come to the rather depressing realization that it probably won't. Just like an alcoholic will always have to struggle to stay away from alcohol and a cocaine addict will always fight the urge to get another fix, those of us who struggle with weight will always have these unhealthy tendencies just lurking around ready to pounce on us at any weak moment.

I Peter 5:8 ~ "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

I'd never quite taken this so literally as I do now. Yes, my enemy (unhealthy food cravings that the devil is trying to use against me) is MOST CERTAINLY prowling around like a lion looking to devour me. To sabotage my efforts. To de-rail me. To discourage me. To make me throw in the towel.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Oh, believe me. I've been here before. I'm almost to the 30 pound weight loss mark. When I was at this point a few years ago, I quit trying. I let life pull me away from my progress, and fell back into all my old habits. The weight all came back on. BUT NOT THIS TIME!!

Yes, I've fallen a bit off the raw veggie eating track. Yes, I've given into my food cravings more the last few days (instead of filling all my cravings with God). Yes, I'm mourning the loss of certain foods and eating habits that I really need to say goodbye to forever. But I'm making this a GPS moment. "At the next available location (right now), make a legal U-Turn!" Thank you. I will.

Did you catch that? It's called grace. It's called forgiveness. It's called perseverance. 

It's called, being a big Jesus girl and putting on my Jesus girl armor:

Ephesians 6:10-18 ~ "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people."

Did you catch that part hidden there? "...after you have done everything, to stand." That's not a sit-by-the-sidelines-and-let-God-do-everything-for-us mentality. No. We have a job to do. An action to take. We are to "put on" the full armor of God. Then we are to "stand." And then: "to pray." 

So get back up and dust yourself off, ladies. We have a mission to accomplish. Not just in the area of food and body image either. God has some mighty big plans for us! This part of the journey, for me, is just the beginning. I know that! It's time for me to get back to work. Get to work putting, standing, and praying. Because, let me tell you, the view from this side of the mountain is gettin' old!

Blessings, friends! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Cautiously Optimistic

2020 has been the year of EVERYTHING being cancelled. Am I right?  All the things we have been looking forward to since mid-March have not happened. So here we are, one week out from Thanksgiving & Luke's first basketball tournament...and all I can be is "cautiously optimistic" that things will go as planned. I can't really be excited. I mean, we were literally on the road heading towards his MAC Tournament game on March 12th when we found out the tournament had been cancelled. Every time we've gotten our hopes up that something was going to happen this year, it has been snatched away from us. So "cautiously optimistic" is the best I can do at this point. Luke called me yesterday to give me an update on some things, and I 100% expected him to tell me we were no longer allowed to attend. Thankfully, he didn't. He just shared that we aren't allowed to talk to him inside of the arena at any games this year. 'Cuz you know, talking to someone