Skip to main content

White Space Balancing Act

So, I am realizing that I have a problem with over-booking myself. I mean a chronic problem. I'm not talking about double-booking either. I mean just plain putting too many things on the calendar each week.  I have heard from many people that creating white space on the calendar is one of the best things we homeschool moms need to do. It's really rather funny that this is an issue. I mean, after all, isn't lack of socialization a common reason non-homeschoolers list for why homeschooling wouldn't work for their kids? Right. I have yet to meet a homeschooler who has any problems in this area. The problem...is staying home!

The reason I feel the need to blog about this today is that we've just reached one of those "it will be good when" moments in our schedule. You know, "It will be good when ____ is over. We'll have more time for ___." You probably have those too. For several weeks I've been thinking how much more time I'll have to: write, work on my at-home business, and organize my house when CC (Classical Conversations) is over. We had our CC End-of-year Showcase last night. That means I should have all this free time to do all these other things. Well, now we're in Little League season. My calendar that was FULL of white space a couple weeks ago, is now filled with both daughters' softball practices and games and my son's baseball. I want my white space back!

Well, I really don't.

Growing up, I had all kinds of white space. I knew what it was like to be bored. I knew what it was like to be lonely. But, I also knew what it was like to have an imagination and find ways to enjoy being alone.

I had lots of time like that before I was married too. Those years of single life after college (AC) but before Dave (BD) were long! It was kind of a double-edged sword: I hated being alone so much, yet I enjoyed the opportunity to appreciate the quiet time.

Then, I got married. Nine months later we became a family of four. Twelve years later, I would truly love to be able to utter the words "lonely" or "bored"! I occasionally see people post those words on Facebook as if we're supposed to feel sorry for them. But, sorry, that just doesn't sound bad to me!

So now it is time to gain a fresh perspective. I don't want to wish away the busy times with my kids - they won't last. I also can't afford to put those other things on hold until the busy season of raising kids is through. I need ways to keep myself "in the zone" (that would be the: not too stressed, getting things done, yet still having some fun Mom zone).

Here are my initial thoughts on how to achieve this (let me know your techniques):
  • Make sure I'm always praying and talking plans over with Dave before they find a space on the calendar. I have gotten better in this area, but I know it needs to be an ALWAYS thing. I still have room for improvement here.
  • Get more sleep. I have got to start getting to bed earlier if I'm going to be Super Mom each day. I think just one more hour of sleep a night would help me feel more refreshed and ready to be productive each day.
  • Start working out in the AM. I am NOT a morning person. I would love to do just about anything as long as it happens after lunch. But, in my busy life, waiting until then to workout means that it might not happen (And lately...it hasn't.). I know how much more alert & focused I am when I've gotten in my exercise first thing in the morning. Time to stop making excuses and start "gettin' 'er done"!!
  • Schedule my alone time. Now this is what I really want to do, yet it seems to never happen. I have realized that this cannot be an occasional thing. I NEED this. Some people are fueled by their "people time". I am fueled by my "alone time." Knowing how much of my growing up years were spent alone, it's no wonder that this is part of who I am. Yet, it has disappeared over the last twelve years. I need it back. Now to just figure out how. And when. I think that's my personal homework assignment for this week. Where do you go to be alone? How often do you do it? I'd love to hear what works for you.
Well, it's about time to jump back into my Mom schedule. Stay tuned as I process this whole white space balancing act. It's definitely a re-occurring theme. Time to do some prayerful research and tweak the calendar a little bit. Oh, and I really want to completely re-arrange my office. Hmmm. I can tell there is a little more white space on the calendar...my creative juices are flowing again.

Until next time...be blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Mom Moments

Mom. It's the title I'm most proud of. The biggest blessing I've ever experienced. My daily prayer is that I don't screw this up. Well, not exactly, but I most certainly want to get this right! Life is fleeting. Time with these precious beings living under our roof will be gone before we want it to be. God has given us these little blessings, and therefore we have a responsibility to train them up according to His will. I do NOT recommend taking this motherhood thing lightly. God's Word has a lot to say about training up our kids and not leading them astray. Some days, the whole thing can feel pretty overwhelming! Today, I'm just enjoying my kids. Preparing to spend time in the pool as the heat index reaches 100+ this afternoon. Thinking about some fun mom moments from the past week. Wanting to just savor some of the recent blessings just a little bit longer. Here's one of my favorites: last Friday I was at the Speak Up! Conference and left the hous