Skip to main content

When the Wheels Fall Off...

The wheels have fallen off my weight loss wagon. I mean - there is not one part of one single wheel still there. It's time to re-build the wheels and get this wagon moving in the right direction again. But I seem to have lost site of the road map. Plus there appears to be a very large boulder right in my path - a mini mountain even. I know there is open road ahead. I just can't seem to get this wagon back on the move. I'm stuck. Completely.

Sigh.

After losing 60 pounds in 2011 - I sit here today with 30 of them shamefully put back on. I'm back to the bad tapes running in my head. I'm back to despising every ounce I see (and feel). I'm in a bad, bad place. It's time to reach out for some moral support from others who can relate.

Honestly, I know exactly what did me in. This last school year was THE most un-enjoyable school year we've had in this house. My emotional eating kicked back into gear maybe only two months into the school year. Then - you add in the worst Michigan winter in any one's memory. I hate winter. I hate being cold. I hate never seeing sunshine. Cue emotional eating to go into double over-time. It wasn't pretty.

Exercising has taken a hiatus. All the positive things I was doing in 2011 seem to be a distant memory. It's as if that person that was having success back then was just a figment of my imagination. I can't remember her. I'm afraid she's lost - never to return.

The most upsetting part of all of this is that I KNOW exactly what to do. I have all the tools. I have everything I need. Except my head. It's not where it needs to be. And I just can't seem to get it there. I'm weary. So weary.

Four years ago (actually October of 2010), it was literally as if a switch had been clicked in my brain. Suddenly all my old excuses flew out the window and I was a woman on a mission. Nothing was going to keep me from exercising...and nothing was going to keep me from eating right. I saw results. I felt good about myself for the first time in my life.

I want that to happen again.

The guilt and shame of gaining back weight drags me down further and further into the pit. The busy-ness of our day-to-day lives makes it easy to put myself on the bottom of the totem pole. Dave and the kids and the house and the groceries and the bills and the....

Yep. They all come first. There's nothing left for me.

So I write this post hoping that somewhere out there is someone else who's stuck where I am. That we can join together and encourage one another. Be in the Word together. Hold each other accountable. Lift each other up out of these ugly pits we're stuck in.

And if you're not there - but you want to lift me up in prayer...that would be great too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Cautiously Optimistic

2020 has been the year of EVERYTHING being cancelled. Am I right?  All the things we have been looking forward to since mid-March have not happened. So here we are, one week out from Thanksgiving & Luke's first basketball tournament...and all I can be is "cautiously optimistic" that things will go as planned. I can't really be excited. I mean, we were literally on the road heading towards his MAC Tournament game on March 12th when we found out the tournament had been cancelled. Every time we've gotten our hopes up that something was going to happen this year, it has been snatched away from us. So "cautiously optimistic" is the best I can do at this point. Luke called me yesterday to give me an update on some things, and I 100% expected him to tell me we were no longer allowed to attend. Thankfully, he didn't. He just shared that we aren't allowed to talk to him inside of the arena at any games this year. 'Cuz you know, talking to someone