Skip to main content

Ready or Not...

We start school tomorrow at our house. School. That thing that starts after three months of summer vacation. You know. Summer vacation. That thing with really nice weather and lots of time spent enjoying the pool and the great outdoors. Lots of time to "chill". Yeah, that.

Um, no. This wasn't that kind of summer.

But...school still starts tomorrow - whether I feel like I had my summer vacation or not.

Sigh.

I'm in denial today. Thinking it can't possibly be the end of August. My babies can't possibly be going into 8th, 8th, and 4th grade. I can't possibly be expected to be ready to teach them for another school year.

Oh, boy. Ready or not...here comes school!

I've decided to focus on all the reasons why I'm glad school starts tomorrow. Here's the short list:


  • By starting before Labor Day...we'll be done the end of May. I really like that.
  • We've got several "catch-up weeks" scheduled into our schedule this year. I really like that too.
  • It's time to get ourselves back into a schedule. I don't necessarily like the sound of it - but it's just time.
  • We'll get over a week of school in before music lessons & dance starts. Breaking in slowly is always nice.
  • No co-op this year - so that means 5 days at home doing school. This makes me extra happy.
  • Tomorrow we're supposed to have our first 90 degree day of the summer (see above where I'm lamenting how a-typical a summer this has been). Normally the kids would sleep in and lolly-gag all morning and then play in the pool all afternoon. Well tomorrow, they'll be done with their first day of school just in time to still enjoy the pool all afternoon! Gotta love productive mornings. :-)

I'm not gonna lie though. Last year's school year was our hardest one yet. And I feel like this was our busiest summer yet. I've done barely anything I'd hoped to do before the start of a new school year. I don't feel refreshed. I still feel like I might just crumble under the weight of it all. 

But school starts tomorrow. 

So, I'll do my devotions as soon as Dave leaves for work. I'll wake the kids up at 7:30. I'll head out for a run while they're having breakfast and getting dressed. We'll start school at 8:30am sharp with prayer and devotions. 

One subject at a time. One hour at a time. God will give me just what I need to start this new school year off on a high note. Because, let's face it - being able to have my kids home with me and learn about God's creation together...that's a pretty amazing blessing. 

So for now...I'll enjoy this last day of our summer vacation. And I'll look forward to enjoying as many of the upcoming year's school days as I possibly can. Because I'm busy living life in the trenches. The homeschool Mom trenches. And it's a pretty good place to be.

:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Mom Moments

Mom. It's the title I'm most proud of. The biggest blessing I've ever experienced. My daily prayer is that I don't screw this up. Well, not exactly, but I most certainly want to get this right! Life is fleeting. Time with these precious beings living under our roof will be gone before we want it to be. God has given us these little blessings, and therefore we have a responsibility to train them up according to His will. I do NOT recommend taking this motherhood thing lightly. God's Word has a lot to say about training up our kids and not leading them astray. Some days, the whole thing can feel pretty overwhelming! Today, I'm just enjoying my kids. Preparing to spend time in the pool as the heat index reaches 100+ this afternoon. Thinking about some fun mom moments from the past week. Wanting to just savor some of the recent blessings just a little bit longer. Here's one of my favorites: last Friday I was at the Speak Up! Conference and left the hous