Skip to main content

Comfortable? Or Growing?

I have a word to share today. Perhaps I'm the only one who needs this reminder - but I'm going to say it anyway.

Life is NOT about being comfortable. 

As I approach 48 years of living on this earth, I realize that - for most of that time - I have been seeking comfort. For as long as I can remember, "being comfortable" was my safe space. It meant I knew what was expected of me. I was familiar with my daily routine/surroundings/people. It meant I could just live life on cruise control and get through my day. And "my comfort zone" was something I sought after in every possible facet of my life. Like - living in the comfort zone was my end all, be all of a successful day. 

But that's completely false.

Have you heard this saying: You can either be comfortable or you can be growing. But you can't be both.

Yep. Read that again. 

In other words, you can be growing into more of the person God wants you to be. Or you can be comfortable. Ouch. That stings a little, doesn't it?! 

As I move full-swing into this transitional year of our family's life, I am being hit smack in the face with this reality. My comfort zone has been picked up, thrown into a frenzied heap, and it has careened to the floor with the loudest of booms. My comfortable, homeschool mom of 3 kids all living at home life is gone. Time to find a new normal. And, no, "normal" does NOT mean "comfortable." And this is what I needed to share.

My new normal? It fills this introvert's soul with an immense amount of uneasiness. You know - the exact opposite of "comfortable". And, I am realizing, it kind of mirrors a lot of what my college kids are probably experiencing right now too. 

Things like:
  • Forcing myself to get involved in new activities - just so I can meet new people and build a new support system for this new phase of life.
  • Challenging myself to grow. In what ways? Things like: my personal fitness, my business, my homeschool teacher skills, my time-management skills, etc.
  • Being OK with nothing feeling the same. With being stretched. With being challenged to grow. Every. Single. Day.
Yep, it's not always fun. (Certainly not comfortable.) But I'm not the only one in my family experiencing this shift. 

I just have to say, I LOVE watching my kids grow. I LOVE watching them recognize the hardness of something, and then be willing to work hard at being successful at it. Perhaps God feels the same way about us? Here's a snippet of how I see my kids being challenged this year...

I'm proud of Luke for taking on all the challenges of his new role on his college team. He knows what is expected of him. He knows he has a specific job to fill. And that means being stronger & bigger & better than he's ever been. And he embraces that challenge full on. He doesn't shy away from hard work and growing. I just love that about him! (Many times over the years I've thought - where does he get that from?)  He is the most out-going of my kids. And when he sets his mind on a goal, he does EVERYTHING he can to see it come to fruition. He has transitioned to full-time college athlete with tremendous poise and determination. I'm just so, so proud of him. ♥

And Mikayla. She is an introvert like her Mama. But she knows she has to get outside of her comfort zone and work hard at meeting new people & making new connections in Toledo. She is throwing her comfort zone out the window and embracing the challenge of growing like a champ. I'm so proud of the courage she is showing! She's an inspiration to me. She never ceases to surprise me with just how incredible of a human being she is. I mean, maybe surprise isn't the word. It's just really fun to have your daughter grow up to be someone that you would choose to have as a best friend. You know?! Love her. ♥

And Hannah. I threw a MAJOR curveball at her with her plans for schooling this year. We thought we had one plan for her freshman year in June, and by the end of July I said, "Um. Guess what?! We are doing a new co-op on Fridays!". She is just one week into her new 9th grade schedule. And she has stepped up and is taking on the challenges of high school with the greatest of ease. I knew I needed to up my homeschool Mom game where Hannah was concerned. And I'm thrilled to see us both moving ahead - with fear and trepidation and all. God's got big plans for her this year - and I am so proud of how she's embracing it all. You keep doing you, Hannah! Love you. ♥

And Liva - my Danish daughter. She is an inspiration! I can't imagine moving to the other side of the world to live with complete strangers for a full school year. But she is here and thriving. She is the most positive person, I think I've ever met. She is a fabulous addition to our crazy clan. I love the way she tackles a challenge. I have already learned a lot from her about how much fun living outside your comfort zone can be. It's going to be a great year having her in our family. ♥

So, what about you? Are you growing? Or comfortable? I'd love to hear any tips you have on being successful at embracing change. I guess it's at least good to know we're all in this together.

Have a blessed day, friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

Life is rather surreal right now. Hard to believe this moment is actually here: my Dad is dying. Even though his quality of life has been diminishing over the last year or so, it's still hard to grasp that we're actually in this place. Hospice care. Hospital bed in my parents' living room. Trying to figure out how to let him go. Just 10 days ago he was still walking to the bathroom. Eating. Taking his breathing treatments. Taking all his meds. Interacting with life.  Living the best version of his 85-year-old self. And seemingly overnight - things changed. It's like he just got tired of it all. He just didn't have the energy to do this one. more. year. When Mom and I walked into his hospital room on December 4th - he was angry. Agitated. "Done with this." And so, since then, we've been learning how to say Goodbye. Learning how to give him the best quality of life at home that he can have in the time he has left. Learning how to let him go. Husband

Getting Back On Track

Haven't written a post since November, and I'm kind of chuckling to myself as I read what that post was about. It was ALL about handling "busy." So how'd I do?? FAIL! This past school year was a real struggle for me. It was one of those years where I constantly questioned whether ANYTHING I was doing was right. Every aspect of my life felt out. of. control. Due to the level of busy and my introverted self never getting time to re-charge - my emotional eating kicked back into HIGH gear. My desire to exercise and eat right went out the window. And now, here I am. Trying to let go of the shame and the guilt and the depression and trying to get my health journey back on track. And so...I must write. Weight Loss is ALL in Your Head Yes, you read that right. I'm here to tell you with 100% confidence - you'll never lose weight if you don't have your head on straight. Never. Now, of course, the WAY in which we choose to lose weight is important. An

Mom Moments

Mom. It's the title I'm most proud of. The biggest blessing I've ever experienced. My daily prayer is that I don't screw this up. Well, not exactly, but I most certainly want to get this right! Life is fleeting. Time with these precious beings living under our roof will be gone before we want it to be. God has given us these little blessings, and therefore we have a responsibility to train them up according to His will. I do NOT recommend taking this motherhood thing lightly. God's Word has a lot to say about training up our kids and not leading them astray. Some days, the whole thing can feel pretty overwhelming! Today, I'm just enjoying my kids. Preparing to spend time in the pool as the heat index reaches 100+ this afternoon. Thinking about some fun mom moments from the past week. Wanting to just savor some of the recent blessings just a little bit longer. Here's one of my favorites: last Friday I was at the Speak Up! Conference and left the hous